Sadly, Greektown's 107-year-old flagship restaurant, the New Hellas, will be closing its doors. From the Detroit News:
On Sunday night, the last glass of wine at New Hellas Café in Greektown will be poured and sipped. The final "Opa!" will be shouted. And then the doors will close for the last time.
After 107 years in Detroit, New Hellas, the city's oldest Greek restaurant, will be only a memory.
Owner Gus Anton, 80, of Grosse Pointe said he can't keep up with the busy life of a restaurateur anymore and will shut down the popular business his father opened in 1901.
"I'm very sad, naturally," he said. "But at my age, what can you do? I'm old. I need the rest."
Hopefully, someone will come along to buy the restaurant, but who knows in Michigan's current weak economy?
Anyway, I and many other native Detroiters will still have fond memories of Pastitsio and Spanakopita at the New Hellas.
Here's the entire story: Detroit's Oldest Greek Restaurant to Shut Doors
No comments:
Post a Comment